1969 to the Present
Blackstone United Dragons is one of the founding clubs of the Queensland Christian Soccer Association (QCSA) competition which was established in 1969. Our Clubs mission is to encourage the sport of football in non-Sunday competition to foster sportsmanship among its members and to provide means whereby amateur football games be made available to players while keeping expenses at a minimum. The concepts of “fair play” and “fun for all” are ideals that our Club encourages and strongly promotes within all its teams.
The formation of the Club in its current form resulted when a group of people from different churches & denominations got together to create the QCSA when Sunday football commenced. It was important that the QCSA provided an alternative to playing on Sundays, as well as teaching children worthwhile values. The Blackstone United Dragons Club chair at the time (Eric Jones) was elected to be the inaugural President of the QCSA.
The Club continues to be supported by the Blackstone United Welsh Church.
Prior to 1969
Blackstone and our field have a rich football history extending back to the late 1800’s with the ground hosting clubs in a number of different forms prior to 1969. The Blackstone Field has been associated with the Blackstone United Welsh Church (est. 1886) from the time when Lewis Thomas donated the land between Bundamba Creek and the railway line to build the church for Welsh immigrants who had settled in the Blackstone township close to the coal mines. Welsh coal miners first played on the field in the mid-1880s.
The Blackstone Rovers were formed in 1890 and played out of the ground until 1964. They won a number of premierships in the different permeations of the Ipswich and Brisbane football associations that existed through the early part of the 20th century with their last premiership won in 1953. In 1964, the Blackstone Rovers amalgamated with the Bundamba Rangers to form the Coalstars Soccer Club. Coalstars continued to play out of the ground until games were held on Sunday and subsequently they transferred their games to Bundamba (currently Ipswich Knights fields). The Blackstone United Welsh Church did not support the playing of football on Sundays and assisted with the formation of Blackstone United Dragons to play in the QCSA and once again, football was present at Blackstone Field.
Life Membership may be awarded to any member of the Club with at least eight years prior membership and considered to have rendered outstanding service to the Club.
The following Club members have met this criterion and attained life membership: